Delta State Governor, Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa, has been picked by former Vice President and presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar, as his running mate for the 2023 presidential election.
Premium Politics reported that Atiku picked Okowa on Thursday ahead of Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, whom he(Atiku) defeated during the PDP primary in May.
As the news continues to generate several reactions, here are 10 facts you should know about Okowa:
- Okowa was born at Owa-Alero in Ika North-East Local Government Area of Delta State.
- He attended Edo College, Benin City (1970–1976) before proceeding to the University of Ibadan where he studied Medicine and Surgery, graduating in 1981 with an MBBS degree.
- Okowa became Secretary to the Ika Local Government and then Chairman of the Ika North-East Local Government Council (1991–1993).
- He is a three-time Commissioner in Delta State having severed as a Commissioner for Agriculture and Natural Resources (July 1999 to April 2001), Commissioner for Water Resources ( April 2001 – May 2003), and Commissioner for Health (September 2003- October 2006).
- Okowa lost in his first attempt to become the gubernatorial candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party in 2007.
- Having resigned from his previous office as a Commissioner to contest the election in June 2007, Ifeanyi was subsequently appointed Secretary to the Delta State Government.
- Okowa was elected Delta North Senatorial candidate in the January 2011 PDP primaries with 942 votes, but the result was challenged by party leaders who favoured Marian Amaka Alli as the party’s candidate.
- He, however, won the rerun where he scored 1,446 votes to defeat Dr. Alli who polled 108 votes.
- In the April 2011 election for the Delta North Senatorial seat, Ifeanyi won 98,140 votes, ahead of runner-up Prince Ned Munir Nwoko of the Democratic People’s Party, who polled 67,985 votes.
- As a sitting governor of Delta State in 2020, He established the University of Delta in his home town Agbor. He also set up the University of Science and Technology in Uzoro and Dennis Osadebe University in Anwai all in Delta State